First cruise? Our Cruise Holiday Experts have some tips to help you out!
At My Cruises, we’ve noticed that people who love cruising won’t hold back when given the chance to tell you about it! We can’t blame them. Cruising is great for so many reasons—from all the perks on board the ship to the fact that, on a cruise, you can fit in multiple destinations in the one holiday without having to constantly check-in and out of hotels! But if you’ve never been on a cruise before, the thought of finding your sea legs can be a bit daunting. So how do you know if a cruise is for you?
Our My Cruises Holiday Experts want you to fall in love with cruising just like we have. Read on to find all the best tips and tricks to help you on your first cruise. We can guarantee that after one, you’ll be back for more!
Is Cruising right for me?
You will never actually know if a cruise is right for you until you try one, but to help you get a little closer to figuring out whether you want to take the leap and find your sea legs, here are some things you need to know!
- Cruises are a great value holiday as fares are generally all-inclusive. Food, accommodation and entertainment are covered in the cost and you don’t have to pay extra to travel between ports because you’re already on board!
- Your cruise will take you to multiple destinations and you will only need to unpack once!
- Cruises are great for the whole family. If you look around, you’ll find the ideal cruise lines and ships with facilities and fun activities for babies, teenagers, parents and grandparents.
- You can choose a cruise ship to suit your preferences. Ships come in all shapes and sizes, from mega-ships with rock-climbing walls and movie theatres to more intimate ships with an upscale ambience.
- Ships offer lots of on-board activities to keep the whole family happy. Wine and dine, pamper yourself at the spa, play a game of basketball or simply bask in the sun with a book.
- Planning a cruise vacation is not difficult. You will not need to do any research regarding hotels or travel between cities, simply pick your ship, itinerary and cabin or have a travel agent do it for you!
- A cruise ship is like a city on the water. From Wi-Fi to toiletries and medication, you will be able to purchase everything you need.
- You can go on an exotic vacation with barely any planning involved. When you choose a cruise, the itineraries organised for you so, if you’re visiting an unfamiliar destination, you won’t have to worry about doing much research!
- Cruises are extremely romantic. If you want to rekindle a spark, celebrate a special occasion or simply spend some quality time with your love, cruise lines have lots of unique packages and opportunities for romance.
- You will meet lots of new people. If you’re very sociable and love talking to people from around the world then a cruise is a wonderful opportunity for you to make some new friends.
How to choose your first cruise
If you have never planned a cruise before it can feel like a very overwhelming process. There are so many different elements to consider—from the type of cruise, the destination, ship size, cabin, length of the trip and, of course, your budget! After considering each of these factors, the real question is how are you supposed to know if a particular cruise line is going to satisfy all of your needs?
The best thing to do is to talk to your My Cruises Holiday Expert. They will be able to provide you with all of the information you need and help you to select the cruise line that best fits your individual criteria. You can also do some research yourself. Look for shortlists of the very best cruise lines for first timers. You will find that these can inform you of the distinctive lifestyle niches of each cruise line and this can help you to pick the perfect one for you!
How to book a cruise
Booking your first cruise and not too sure what to expect? Here are some top tips that will help you navigate your way through the process!
- When to book
How far in advance you book your cruise is completely up to you, but there are some pros and cons to consider before making this decision. The further ahead you book, the more likely you are to have a greater choice of cabin types and locations. If you book a week in advance, you might save some money, but you also might miss out all together! All of our My Cruises packages have a book-by date. Take a look at our Hot Cruise Deals now, find the book-by date and make sure that you don’t miss the cruise of a lifetime!
- Where to book
If you know you want to book a cruise but you’re unsure of the finer details, such as the destination or cruise line, then contact our My Cruises Holiday Experts! If you have already made these decisions yourself, book directly with us by clicking on the links on our deal pages or calling 1300 692 784!
- Which cabin do I pick?
Pick a cabin to suit your own preferences. If you want to be able to take in the incredible views in private, then select a cabin with a balcony. If you don’t think you will be spending much time in your room and want to save yourself some money, opt for a windowless inside cabin.
- Will I have to pay for my cruise upfront?
At My Cruises, we offer a range of payment options, including a book now with 0% Interest Free offer! We can also arrange payment plans to ensure that booking your first cruise isn’t a stressful process. Our Cruise Holiday Experts will be able to talk to you about repayment rates based on your individual cruise and travel dates.
- Do I need travel insurance?
When booking a cruise, travel insurance is not mandatory, however we do highly recommend it. We have partnered with QBE Insurance (AFSL 239545) to provide you with a wide range of international travel insurance plans. Our Cruise Holiday Experts can add this in to any cruise deal that you purchase so all you have to do is set sail, knowing you have the most comprehensive insurance around!